Kim E. Piersol
Mr. Piersol is a Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society and a Member of the American Academy of Actuaries. Prior to joining Huggins, he served as Senior Vice President & Chief Actuary for Crum & Forster Insurance Companies. Prior to that he served as chief actuary for CNA Insurance Companies, and was a consulting actuary for KPMG LLP, Arthur Anderson LLP, and CFO of AIG Risk Management. He has over forty-two years of experience in the actuarial field.
Mr. Piersol’s professional experience includes:
- Providing reserving discipline during a distressed period and assisted in an A.M. Best ratings upgrade during a period of deteriorating market conditions
- Developing and implementing workers’ compensation individual claim simulation reserve projection models which greatly improve accuracy of workers’ compensation reserve projections from both a financial reporting and pricing perspective
- Developing sophisticated price monitoring techniques for all lines of business to ensure that pricing and reserving processes remain “in-sync.”
- Provided senior management a tool to ensure the reported results of companies were consistent with the pricing of the business and facilitated the production of profitable business
- Developing a terrorism exposure monitoring and management tool and the establishment of underwriting guidelines that minimize corporate exposure to a terrorist event
- Creating recall campaign accrual methodology for major auto manufacturers using a simulation model based upon millions of service call records along with auto disposition and warranty ownership data
- Performing captive feasibility studies for clients to solidify market position and protect commission income
- Providing loss portfolio transfer due-diligence for reinsurance company clients in runoff
- Leading property casualty valuation teams in due diligence situations, including examinations of insurance companies, reinsurance companies, captives, TPAs and insurance agencies
Mr. Piersol has served on the CAS exam committee and participated in presentations at CAS seminars. He has served on the American Academy of Actuaries Environmental Liabilities Work Group, the NAIC Technical Advisory Committee on Catastrophe Reserves, the Workers’ Compensation Reinsurance Bureau Actuarial Committee, and been a director & treasurer of the Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS). He also served on the Professional Liability Actuarial Subcommittee of ISO. Mr. Piersol achieved his Bachelors of Science in Mathematics at Furman University, Greenville, SC. He has also served as a 1st Lieutenant in the United States Army Field Artillery.