Kim E. Piersol
Mr. Piersol is a Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society and a Member of the American Academy of Actuaries. Prior to joining Huggins, he served as Senior Vice-President & Chief Actuary for Crum & Forster Insurance Companies. Prior to that he served as Group Vice President & Chief Actuary for CNA Insurance Companies, and was a consulting actuary for KPMG LLP, Arthur Andersen LLP, and CFO of AIG Risk Management (AIGRM).
Mr. Piersol is professionally active. He has served on the American Academy of Actuaries Environmental Liabilities Work Group, the NAIC Technical Advisory Committee on Catastrophe Reserves, the Workers’ Compensation Reinsurance Bureau Actuarial Committee, and has been a Director and Treasurer of the Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS). He also served on the Professional Liability Actuarial Subcommittee of the Insurance Services Office (ISO). Currently, he is on the Financial Management Committee at PAMIC. He has also served as a 1st Lieutenant in the United States Army Field Artillery.
His over 35 years in the actuarial field have given him a thorough knowledge of the property-casualty business both from a company and consulting viewpoint.
- Serving as the Huggins’ practice leader for the Actuarial Forensic Litigation & Valuation Practice, which provides litigation/arbitration support and actuarial expert witness services, as well as property-casualty valuations in due diligence situations, including mergers and acquisitions and examinations of insurance companies, reinsurance companies, captives, TPAs, and insurance agencies. The Practice also provides loss portfolio transfer due-diligence for insurance/reinsurance company clients in runoff;
- Developing and implementing workers’ compensation individual claim simulation reserve projection models which greatly improve accuracy of workers’ compensation reserve projections from both a financial reporting and pricing perspective;
- Providing reserving discipline for a large insurance group during a distressed period and assisting in obtaining an A.M. Best ratings upgrade during a period of deteriorating market conditions;
- Developing sophisticated price monitoring techniques for all lines of business to ensure that pricing and reserving processes remain “in-sync”;
- Providing a client’s senior management with a tool to ensure the reported results of companies were consistent with the pricing of the business and facilitated the production of profitable business;
- Developing a catastrophe/terrorism exposure monitoring and management tool and the establishment of underwriting guidelines that minimize corporate exposure to a catastrophe/terrorist event (including California earthquake exposure);
- Estimating ultimate costs of the automobile warranty program of a major original equipment manufacturer using a simulation model based upon millions of service call records along with auto disposition and warranty ownership data.
Mr. Piersol achieved his Bachelors of Science in Mathematics at Furman University, Greenville, SC.