FSA, MAAA, MIAA
William Horbatt is a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries (SOA), Member of the American Academy of Actuaries (AAA), Member of the International Actuarial Association (IAA). He is also a Chartered Life Underwriter, Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter, and Member of the Life Office Management Association. Mr. Horbatt has over thirty years of experience in the life and health insurance industry spanning both insurance company management and consulting roles. The broad base of experience includes all major product lines including credit insurance, ordinary life insurance, group insurance, health insurance, managed health care, annuities, reinsurance, unit-linked guarantees and multi-line insurance agencies.
Mr. Horbatt’s professional consulting experience includes:
- Serving as the appointed actuary for a number of companies in Latin and North America, including companies licensed in New York
- Assisted regulators in several states with examinations and rehabilitations of life and health insurance companies as well as assisting in numerous GAAP and statutory audits.
- Advised companies in Canada, Caribbean, Europe, South America and the United States in a wide range of areas including merger and acquisitions, performance improvement, strategic planning, systems selections and US GAAP conversions
- Audited initial public offerings, rehabilitations, acquisitions and dispositions. Consulted on purchase GAAP, identification of deferrable acquisition costs, and GAAP for mutuals
- Originator of SOA US GAAP / IFRS seminars in Hong Kong and other countries in Asia, Europe and Latin America which have continued for over five years.
- Managed GAAP conversion projects for insurance companies in Milan, Italy and Paris, France including serving as interim CFO for French company
- Prepared appraisal / cash flow analysis of a life reinsurer, an annuity underwriter, a niche LTD carrier and a large UK based broker/underwriter
- Managed management consulting projects to evaluate the risk management of a group health underwriter, assess the strategy of a Canadian company’s US operations, reduce elapsed financial reporting time, and selecting administrative system vendors.
Mr. Horbatt is Chair of the SOA International Experience Study, Vice Chair of the IAA Mortality Working Group, and member of the AAA International Financial Reporting System Task Force. He previously served as President of the Actuarial Society of Greater New York, Chair of the SOA’s International Section, Vice Chair of the SOA’s Credit Insurance Committee and Vice Chair of the Consumer Credit Insurance Association’s Actuarial Subcommittee. He has served on the SOA’s Actuary of the Future Section Council, the SOA’s Annual Program Committee, and the SOA’s Task Force on new Valuation Mortality Table.
Mr. Horbatt is a Graduate Fellow from Rutgers University, and holds a Bachelor of Arts from Dickinson College.