Steven J. Lesser
Mr. Lesser is a Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society (FCAS) and a Member of the American Academy of Actuaries (MAAA). He has worked at Huggins Actuarial Services, Inc. (“Huggins”) since 2004. Before joining Huggins, he served as chief actuary for AIG Private Client Group and Assistant Actuary at CIGNA Property and Casualty. He has over 25 years of experience in the actuarial field.
Mr. Lesser has extensive experience in loss reserving, ratemaking, and product development for a variety of commercial and personal lines. He has also provided comprehensive research and analysis for actuarial forensic litigation and valuation service (expert witness) engagements. His clients have included self-insurers, insurers and reinsurers, healthcare systems, hospitals and medical professionals, captives and risk retention groups, auditing firms, law firms, insurance departments and public agencies.
Mr. Lesser’s professional experience includes:
- Performed quarterly and annual loss reserve reviews for medical malpractice, general liability, workers compensation, commercial multiperil, mortgage guaranty, homeowners, inland marine, and commercial and personal automobile lines of business.
- Developed and filed forms, rates, and rating plans for personal and commercial line products, including medical malpractice, general liability, workers compensation, homeowners, automobile, and inland marine insurance.
- Designed a coastal homeowners’ program for a start-up insurer, based on a competitive analysis and evaluation of available historical data.
- Conducted rate review analyses to determine line of business profitability and assisted companies in determination of rate filing action.
- Produced loss funding analyses for captives and self-insureds.
- Estimated retained liabilities under SOP-87-1 and FASB ASU 2010-24 for hospitals and healthcare institutions.
- Derived liability estimates for potential wrongful death lawsuits related to COVID-19.
- Prepared financial pro forma projections with stress testing for captive feasibility studies and the application of formation/certificate of authority for a new insurance company.
- Assessed actuarial work products for compliance with Actuarial Standards of Practice and the Code of Professional Conduct and provided research, analysis, and deposition preparation on numerous litigation support assignments.
- Served as an actuarial exam seminar instructor, teaching topics such as Risk Based Capital.
Mr. Lesser received his Bachelor of Science in Mathematics from the University of Michigan, graduating as a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
The Huggins Advantage
Our firm’s philosophy centers on our commitment to the highest level of quality service delivered by quality people. Our long tradition of providing responsive, technical excellence to our clients’ needs through an integrated team approach requires that we focus on quality in every aspect of every engagement.