FSA, FRM, PRM, FALU, MAAA
Mr. Mangini is a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries, a Certified Financial Risk Manager, a Professional Risk Manager, a Fellow of the Academy of Life Underwriting, and a Member of the American Academy of Actuaries.
Prior to joining Huggins, Mr. Mangini has had a diverse career with several reinsurers, two direct insurers, and two leading actuarial consulting firms prior to re-entering consulting with his own firm Mangini Actuarial And Risk Advisory LLC. His most recent corporate role was as SVP and Deputy Global Chief Actuary of a multiline insurer with nineteen business units in Asia, Canada, and the US, where he was a member of the Global Asset Liability and Global Product Risk Oversight Committees and served on the Boards of three internal subsidiaries.
Immediately prior to this, Mr. Mangini was a co-founder of a start-up life reinsurance subsidiary business unit within a global multiline life and P&C insurer starting as Chief Actuary and Life Chief Risk Officer of the statutory entity before becoming the unit’s President.
He has over twenty-five years of experience in life insurance and reinsurance.
Mr. Mangini’s professional experience includes:
- Corporate oversight over IFRS and US GAAP valuation including review of business unit asset and liability valuation assumption setting and experience monitoring for all new and inforce products across the globe;
- Valuation Model Risk Management in an ORSA context coordinating with internal and external audit, and quarterly IFRS and US GAAP earnings analysis coordinating with investor and rating agency relations staff;
- Establishing processes for reinsurance data collection, peer review of treaty level pricing and underwriting assumption setting, peer review of pricing and valuation models;
- Management and financial reporting, and an ongoing ERM Cycle to control these processes;
- Life and Annuity insurance product development and re-engineering;
- Reinsurance marketing, pricing, underwriting, treaty development, and design of client audit programs;
- Developing appraisals in sell-side M&A transactions, performed statutory and GAAP audits including asset and liability Cash-Flow Testing for reserve adequacy;
- Consulting in market conduct lawsuit defenses, and the largest US mutual insurance company IPO.
Leonard was elected to the Society of Actuaries’ Financial Reporting Section Council in 2014 where he serves as Vice-Chairman. He is also an early and continuing member of the Society of Actuaries new Assumption and Model Development Group. Mr. Mangini holds an MS in Financial Engineering from Polytechnic Institute of NYU and a BS in Math and Physics from SUNY at Stony Brook.