Michael L. Frank
ASA, FCA, MAAA
Mr. Frank is a Fellow of the Conference of Consulting Actuaries, an Associate of the Society of Actuaries, and Associate, International Conference of Consulting Actuaries and a Member of the American Academy of Actuaries, as well as having memberships in several other leading professional organizations. Michael is a life & health actuary with more than twenty five years of experience, including executive management experience at Aquarius Capital in insurance, reinsurance, employee benefits consulting and managed care entities.
He has provided financial and management consulting to various organizations including insurance companies, investment bankers, reinsurers, HMOs, managed care organizations, hospitals, disease management, third-party administrators, accounting firms, private equity funds, and other organizations servicing the insurance/reinsurance industry in the US and internationally. Mr. Frank also provided employee benefits consulting to organizations purchasing insurance benefits in the life and health market on a fully insured and self-funded basis, and is licensed as a life and health broker as well as a reinsurance intermediary.
Mr. Frank has prepared rate filings and reserve opinions for a variety of insurance companies, HMOs and reinsurance companies. For medical filings, he has completed filings for commercial fully insured (large group, small group and individual), self-funded stop loss insurance, Medicaid, Medicare, and Medicare Supplement products as well as completed rate filings under healthcare reform (PPACA).
Mr. Frank’s professional experience includes:
- Served as the appointed actuary for various insurance and reinsurance companies (e.g., opining actuary for two Berkshire Hathaway companies, various HMOs, managed care carve-out organizations, etc.)
- Consulted a variety of managed care companies including hospital systems, disease management companies, prescription drug benefit managers, radiology carve-outs, post-acute companies, transportation and other third party vendors
- Consulted more than eighty (80) financial institutions including investment bankers, private equity firms, hedge funds, asset managers and research organizations as a consultant for Gerson Lehrman Group for US and international business
- Managed more than $4 billion in reinsurance premium as a reinsurer and risk manager. Roles included overseeing actuarial, claims management, medical management, network management, auditing and finance functions
- Consulted more than 500 municipalities including towns, cities, schools, and housing authorities in employee and retiree insurance benefits
- Testified as an expert witness in the life and health insurance industry in insurance, reinsurance and employee benefits pertaining to actuarial, underwriting, brokerage and other related insurance/reinsurance matters
- Provided consulting services to international insurance and reinsurance companies in the life, accident and health market. Currently working on several international healthcare programs (e.g., insured policies for medical travel coverage.)
- Appointed as an adjunct professor for Columbia University’s Masters of Science Program in Actuarial Science
- Served as President of the Actuarial Society of Greater New York (ASNY) and served as Chairperson for Continuing Education for ASNY
- Elected to the Society of Actuaries Reinsurance Section Council (2008 to 2010) and plays a crucial role in developing reinsurance seminars and training for life and health actuaries in risk management as well as insurance regulators. He is an instructor for the Society of Actuaries LEARN Program teaching insurance regulators about reinsurance
- Michael is an active participant in the insurance industry and participates on various NAIC and actuarial industry task forces, including workgroups for reserving, retiree benefits and insurance Risk-Based Capital. He is also a guest speaker for various industry conferences and a regular attendee at industry meetings for reinsurance, actuarial, finance, life insurance, capital management, employee benefits, retiree benefits, life settlements, healthcare and other insurance professional organizations.
Michael is originally from the New York metropolitan area and graduated from the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor with a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Statistics.